- A group of lion is called as a pride.
- The name of a male lion is referred to as a lion or tom.
- The name of a female lion is referred to as a she-lion or lioness.
- The name or offspring, or a baby Lion, is a cub.
- Fully grown males reach the height of 4 feet.
- An adult male weighs between 330-530 pounds.
- A lion can run up to a maximum speed of 80 kilometers per hour.
- Cross- breeding between lions and tigers resulting in a 'tiglon'.
- Lions can spend up to 20 hours a day sleeping.
- Lions roar can be heard up to 8 km away.
- Lion is known as the king of beasts for his bravery and fighting skills.
- The largest lion till date was almost 11 feet long and weighed nearly 700 pounds.
- In a pride ,the female lion does 90% of hunting while the male prefers to rest.
- Lions can mate 100 times in a single day.
Why Lion is called the KING of the jungle
The lion has been called the King of the jungle for centuries, due to its majestic appearance and the fact that it is at the top of the food chain. In more recent times, wild animals have become generally referred to as 'jungle animals', as a way of separating them from 'farm animals', say, or pets. Hence, King of the Jungle. Whilst it is true that the majority of lions live on the open savannahs of Africa, there is a small population of Asiatic lions in the Gir Forest of India - the term King of the Jungle might more appropriately be applied to these lions than those in Africa. However, personally I feel that the title King of Beasts is more fitting for the lion, and King of the Jungle for the tiger, since tigers live in jungles and are the largest of all cats.