|By Severin.stalder, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=39661035|
The Great Wall extends from Dandong in the east to Lake Lop in the west, along an arc that roughly delineates the southern edge of Inner Mongolia. A comprehensive archaeological survey, using advanced technologies, has concluded that the Ming walls measure 8,850 km . This is made up of 6,259 km sections of actual wall, 359 km of trenches and 2,232 km of natural defensive barriers such as hills and rivers. Another archaeological survey found that the entire wall with all of its branches measure out to be 21,196 km .
Initially The Great Wall of China war built to protect the Chinese states and empires against the raids and invasions of the various nomadic groups of the Eurasian Steppe , but as much as 2000 km of wall has disappeared due to the damage caused by natural factors and the war but presently The Great Wall of China is under the authority of the Govt of China who hold the responsibility of its restoration and maintenance . It was also listed as a UNESCO world heritage site in 1987.
The Great Wall of China has become one of the important tourist attraction spot of China attracting large number of tourists every year, it is one of the must watch places for adventurous tourists in china.
"He who does not reach the Great Wall is not a true man " Is a famous Chinese saying which describes that ones in his life time a man must visit The Great Wall. Being one of the largest ( more than 21,000 km ) and oldest (history of 2,300 years) , The Great Wall of China is a Global Icon of China , It is also one among the New Seven wonders of the World " which is another main reason for tourism attraction , More than 50,000 tourists visit The Great wall of China every day .
Few of the main sections of tourism in Great Wall of China:
1. Mutianyu : Mutianyu is a section of the Great Wall of China located in Huairou County 70 km northeast of central Beijing. The Mutianyu section of the Great Wall is connected with Jiankou in the west and Lianhuachi in the east. It is one of the best preserved sections of the wall and it is covered by woodlands , streams and forest making it the best section of the Great wall for tourism.
2. Jinshanling : Jinshanling is a section of the Great Wall of China located in the mountainous area in Luanping County, 125 km northeast of Beijing.
3. Jiankou : Jiankou is a section of the Great Wall of China. This section is known for its photographic hotspot due to its unique style, steep mountains and beautiful scenery. 'Jiankou', is translated as 'Arrow Nock' in English, for the shape of the collapsed ridge opening is reminiscent of an arrow nock. This shape has not been restored since its construction.
4. Shanhaiguan : Shanhai Passalso called Yu Pass , is one of the major passes in the Great Wall of China. The words , it is also a popular tourist spot of China . The phrase , "First Pass Under Heaven" is carved on the gates of the pass.
Location : China
Timings : 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM
Amazing Facts :
1. The total length of the Great Wall of China including all its sections is 21,196 Km.
2. The Great wall of China is believed be the only man made structure that is visible to naked eyes from the moon but it is not true.